Cooking Tips for Haggis
- Thaw Haggis.
- Stovetop Method:
- Wrap Haggis tightly in foil and place in a large saucepan of cold water.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then simmer very, very gently as you do not want to burst the Haggis.
- Most of Valbella Haggis weighs around 2.5 lbs (1.1kg), the cooking time is about 1 hour and 35 minutes. Increase the time for larger Haggis by roughly 10 minutes for every 200g, up to a maximum of two hours.
- Oven Method:
- Wrap Haggis tightly in foil and put it in a lidded casserole dish with a little bit of hot water.
- Place in pre-heated oven at 350F for 1 hour for a one-pound (500g) Haggis. Cooking times are the same as the stovetop method. Add more water if necessary throughout the cooking time, do not let the Haggis dry out.
- Using a meat thermometer, the meat should read at no less than 170F.
- To serve Haggis, cut open the casing and scoop out the contents onto plates . There are many other ways to enjoy Haggis; check online to find creative serving methods.
Any questions? Call us at 403-678-9989