Pork Belly Kimchi Rice Bowl
- 500 g thick cut (half inch) Valbella Country Style Bacon (pork belly) *
- 3 pinches Chinese five spice
- 30 ml rice vinegar
- 30 ml mirin
- 40 ml sweet soy sauce
- 15 ml peanut oil
- 200 g basmati rice (uncooked amount)
- 25 g garlic, chopped
- 100 g white onions, thinly cut
- 150 g Napa cabbage, cut in 1-inch squares
- 200 g bok choy, cut in 1-inch squares
- 120 g kimchi
- 30 g Korean red chili paste
- some Sriracha (optional)
* Available at Valbella Gourmet Foods
the day before
1. Cube the bacon and marinate over night with the sweet soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, garlic and Chinese five spice.
2. Make the basmati rice following the instructions on the package.
3. Remove bacon from marinade and keep marinade for later.
4. Sauté the bacon in peanut oil. Drain excessive fat and keep bacon warm.
5. In a large frying pan, quickly sauté onions, cabbage, and bok choy in some of the bacon fat.
6. Sauté vegetables so that they are still slightly crunchy, add chili paste, stir and add the rice.
7. In a sauce pan, heat the marinade and simmer for 1 minute.
8. Add the marinade, the kimchi and toss until mixed well and contents are hot.
9. Serve with green onions on top and some pork rind from your local Asian store.
10. Serve with some extra Sriracha (optional).